Carla Hefley

Artist in Training

Saturday, November 9, 2013

My Art Journey...

When I was in the 7th grade at Central Junior High one of my classes was art with Miss Sue Henson.  I LOVED that class and continued taking through the 9th grade with Miss Henson.  I do not know why I did not continue art classes into high school.  During those times I constantly carried a sketch book, drawing manuals and pencils.  I had pastels, crayolas and lots of paper to create.  Then somehow I stopped, just stopped.  Oh, I was creative in various other ways like crochet, crafting and a bit of photography but I did not have that trusty sketchbook anymore.  The supplies remained hidden in my old trunk.  Then, about 2009, two years after the loss of my mother, my best friend Gail and our sweet little dog Ebony I hit a wall.  I had to find something to re-energize myself.  I tried writing groups and classes because I thought I might write the next big novel.  I took an art class (the one I'm still in) also to expand my horizons and to FIND MYSELF!  Sitting in front of that easel in class that momentous first day my hand shook as I neared that blank canvas.  To put yourself out there for EVERYONE to see was one of the scariest things I ever did.  It was much more than just putting paint on canvas.  It was sort of like standing in front of the class giving the oral book report.  Just thinking about what people would think of me was terrifying, but I did it.  Creating that painting did more for me than you can imagine.  I gained courage to put myself out there after a LIFETIME of fear of being center stage.  I found I loved it, kind of craved it.  

Then I had to decide what kind of artist I wanted to be.  I so loved realism and wanted to create it.  While on a trip to Door County,Wisconsin (FABULOUS PLACE) I encountered the works of artist, Jeffrey T. Larson.  I have never met the man but I own three of his giclee prints and wanted to do what he does.  Attempting the realism stuff is hard for me but I do try.  I also fought the abstract stuff and actually condemned it till I actually tried my hand at it.  Folks it is rather hard, really, and it doesn't happen when I want it too.  It just kind of happens when I least expect it to.  My love is of course flowers and nature.  

This journey, my art journey will be with me till I take my last breath.  It is a part of me that I thought I lost but it was just dormant.  I may not be a Picasso or Rembrandt but I am a Carla Hefley.